We provide Short Term Accommodation (STA) support services to help carers to take a break from their caring roles

Support for families and carers of people with disability

As a carer of a family member with disability, it is important to be healthy for yourself, your family, and the person you care for. Taking regular breaks can help you to maintain your health and wellbeing, as you continue to care for your loved one.
Respite bookings available now!

Expert care and 24-hour support

CPA provides expert care and 24-hour support for people living with physical and/or intellectual disability in our STA residential homes in Sydney. Our homes include dedicated accommodation for children ages 7-17; and for adults aged 18 and over.

During your family member’s stay they will have the opportunity to experience fun activities in the home and excursions out in the community, socialise with the other guests, and be supported to practise their independence and life skills.

CPA’s STA services offer:

  • Short-term or medium-term stays (casual or regular bookings)
  • Personalised service to meet the individual’s requirements
  • A safe and comfortable home environment with outdoor areas
  • 24-hour support and care provided by CPA’s highly trained staff
  • Opportunities to make new friendships and socialise
  • Matched guests with similar interests
  • Participation in new activities and experiences
  • Nutritious meals and snacks

CPA’s STA homes are located across Sydney, NSW

  • Children STA homes (ages 7-17) are located in Dee Why, Thornleigh and Forestville.
  • Adult STA homes (ages 18 and over) are located in Belrose, Dee Why, Hornsby, St Ives and Chester Hill.

“As a Respite Manager, I see on a daily basis the way CPA’s short-term accommodation really makes a difference to people’s lives. We see people developing skills that help them learn to live away from the family home. We see new friendships made and new experiences uncovered. We know it can also be tough for parents who care full-time for someone living with a disability, and short-term accommodation has the added benefit of providing a moment for the family to rest and reconnect.”

– Danny Caunt, Respite Manager

Tell me more

We will respond as soon as possible, between Monday-Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm

Frequently asked questions

Under the NDIS, short term accommodation, also known as respite, is a short or long stay in a residential home shared with other guests.

Set in a home environment you’ll receive support from qualified staff with your daily routines and activities as well as develop new skills, meet others, try new things and work towards your goals.

Short term accommodation provides a supportive environment for people with disability. It provides an opportunity for people with disability and their carers to enjoy a break from their usual routines.

People with disability (and their family/ carer) will benefit from:

  • 24/7 support from highly trained staff
  • fully accessible environment
  • accommodation open throughout holiday breaks and public holidays
  • accommodation available for children, youth and adults with disability
  • overnight stay, short stays and extended stays available
  • nutritious and balanced meals throughout the day, including breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner
  • social activities, excursions, at home activities and much more!

Short Term Accommodation is NDIS funded. This funding is listed under core supports in the support category Assistance with Daily Life.

The cost of Short Term Accommodation is based on the NDIS Price Guide.

Usually the NDIS will fund up to 28 days of Short Term Accommodation per year. You can use your Short Term Accommodation funding flexibly. For example, you might want to use it in a block of up to 14 days at a time or for one weekend a month.

If you already have funding in your Core budget, you can use this for Short Term Accommodation.

CPA will work with you to find a frequency that works for you and your carer/family.

Individuals can stay as short or as long as they or their carer needs. There are short one or two night stays available or more ongoing options that may suit your requirements.

CPA’s short term accommodation services can also be utilised as a transition into Supported Independent Living (SIL) if individuals are exploring their permanent living options.

Medium Term Accommodation can support you if you need somewhere to live while waiting for your confirmed long term housing solution. Medium Term Accommodation is usually for stays up to three months (90 days).

During your stay at all of our Short and Medium Term Accommodation individuals are supported with:

  • cooking and food preparation as well as nutritional support
  • medication and personal care
  • recreational and social activities such as going on local excursions
  • building social circles and meeting new people
  • practising and building independence away from the usual carer supports to develop new skills
  • empowering you to achieve your goals, no matter how big or small.

Short Term Accommodation services support children aged 7-17 years old and our adult services 18 years and over.

Cerebral Palsy Alliance provides support across a vast range of disability support needs (behaviour support, complex physical, and clinical support). We endeavour to match the individual with peers of similar support needs and age appropriate interests to ensure they have an enjoyable and safe stay.

Yes, if you have a written plan that you would like to implement during your stay we can support the individual to reach their goals. Our staff are highly trained in a number of support areas and are motivated to assist individuals.

At CPA, we take the time to clearly understand an individual’s needs and preferences so we can replicate a home away from home environment so the identified skills can be supported.

Voluntary Out of Home Care is only for children aged 7-17 years. This is an arrangement between a carer and an organisation for an individual to receive overnight care away from their usual home. VOOHC can be provided as a one-off emergency placement or on a regular basis.

At CPA, we provide a range of Support Independent Living (SIL) services. Click on the links below for further information:

Service finder

  • Age group

  • Filter by centre

  • Service Type

  • Filter by goals

  • Sort